Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Excited Again

So I was just going through some cookbooks trying to plan Easter dinner and I must say, I'm excited about cooking again. I really do love to cook and love trying new recipes out but it's hard working nights. But I'm inspired again so hopefully good meals to come! Only problem, Jon is headed out of town tomorrow for 10 days...so who wants to come over and let me cook for them?

Ive been meaning to share a recipe I recently cooked which I got from Better Homes and Gardens. With summer approaching it's a good time to eat healthy. This is great over some brown rice, even left Jon saying he now favors tilapia over salmon, a realization I wish he had years ago to save me some cash!

Thai-Style Fish and Vegetables

4 6 oz fresh or frozen skinless cod, tilapia, or other fish fillet
1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
1 c. 2-inch pieces trimmed fresh asparagus or green beans
1 medium carrot, cut into thin strips
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
3/4 c. Light coconut milk
2 tsp. Fish sauce or soy sauce
1 tsp. Grated fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp. Ground ginger
1/8 to 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp chopped peanuts
1 Tbsp snipped fresh cilantro

Thaw fish if frozen. Rinse, pat dry

Fill a 12-inch skillet with 1 inch of water. Bring water to boil, reduce heat. Arrange pepper, asparagus/beans, and carrot on steamer basket. Place fish on top of vegetables. Sprinkle fish and vegetables with salt and pepper. Place steamer over simmering water. Cover and simmer 6-8 minutes or until fish begins to flake

For sauce: in small saucepan combine coconut milk, lime juice, soy/fish sauce, ginger, and crushed pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat. Boil gently uncovered for 2-4 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

Remove fish and vegetables to serving plates, drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment