Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!!!

Wow, I loved this weekend and I am really wishing it wasn't ending.  It started early Friday as I finished up early and lasted until now since I took Tuesday off (one of my better ideas!)  We really didn't do much outside of the house, inside I put alot of work in.  Lots of cleaning and organizing...a great way to start a new year.  We are getting closer to our one year anniversary in our home and I could no longer put off some of the things I wanted to organize when we moved it.  The naked eye (or Jon's) may not notice what I've done, but I know, and I guess that's all that matters.

We kept things low key this New Years Eve and stayed in.  I worked on a puzzle I recently purchased and cooked us a nice meal. We had Slow-Roasted Lamb Shanks, Garlic Mashed, and Roasted Brussel Sprouts w/bacon.  Everything tasted great, but I'm not going to share my recipe for the lamb shanks as I doubt I'd ever use it again.  Lamb Shanks are one of my favorite cuts of meat, but I like it to be fall-off-the-bone and despite my 3 and 1/2 hours of cooking, the meat was not falling of the bone!  A little disappointing, but still good.  Even my pan sauce wasn't great (notice the giant blob on my meat, that's just not right)...better luck next year I guess. 



To my amazement and surprise Jon cooked dinner Sunday night.  It was actually pretty shocking when he said he was going to prepare us dinner.  He cooked the one thing he knows how to....chicken parm, but he mixed it up this time around by turning it into a sandwich.  (By this time around I mean this is his second time making it, the last time he cooked us this meal was 3 years ago).  He even managed to make a salad, which was excellent!  Even sweeter, he delivered my meal to me as I watched tv which is what I always do for him when I'm not making him eat in the kitchen with me.  It was a wonderful start to the year! 

Jon's Masterpiece


As my extended weekend winds down, I'm getting ready to prepare dinner for us tonight...homemade mac and cheese from Southern Living and burgers.  This Mac and Cheese is pretty good, so that recipe I will share!

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese (Southern Living All-Time Favorites)

1 8 oz. package elbow macaroni
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
1/8 tsp. granulated garlic
1 c. half and half
1 c. milk
1/2 (10 oz) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (10 oz) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded & divided

Prepare pasta, drain and set aside

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Gradually whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.  Stir in salt & next 3 ingredients.  Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk; cook whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.

Stir in extra-sharp cheddar and half of sharp cheddar until smooth.  Remove from heat.

Combine pasta and cheese mixture and pour into 1 lightly greased (8 inch) baking dish or 6 (6 oz. dishes).  Sprinkle evenly with remaining sharp Cheddar.

Back at 375 for 20 minutes.  (Bake 15 min longer for a crusty top.)

No comments:

Post a Comment