Sunday, February 12, 2012

I'm back...

Finally, I've cooked! Let me start by talking about my trip to the grocery store this morning. I was back, a bunch of meals planned for the week (despite the fact that I'm working every night this week, so shopping list was good to go. Generally, if I have a strict grocery list I can stick to it and today was much of the same, I stuck to the list with a few exceptions...somehow while I was at wegmans I got it into my head that I needed a Scottish bagel for lunch. For those who aren't aware of my Graul's obsession this involves an everything bagel, cream cheese, lox, tomato, red onion, and capers....amazing! The one thing that could have made that lunch better would have been a bloody Mary. Seeing as how I have 3 bottles of mix, it's a good thing I didn't think of that until now!

Decided to follow up one good meal with another. Dinner didn't go quite as smoothly though. It was good and no major issues, that's if you don't count almost burning the house down as an issue. So I tried out a new recipe for Tortilla Meatball Soup which I got from the October 2011 Cooking Light. It was very good & surprisingly quite filling. He only kink occurred with the toasted tortilla strips...it took me 3 tries! Attempt 1- in the oven, no timer necessary this will only take me 3 minutes anyways and them ill take them out....why is the smoke detector going off!?! Agh, those are black. Attempt 2- won't make the same mistake twice, let me just stir this, oh sh!t I did it again! A dark brown. Attempt 3 - fool me once...I'm not walking away from this oven this time around, finally, success, a perfectly toasted tortilla strip. Whew, evidently it's hard getting bak into things! So if you dare....

Tortilla Meatball Soup

2 jalapeño peppers
1 red bell pepper
2 cups frozen corn kernels
4 (6 in) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 in thick strips
3/4 tsp. salt, divided
6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1/3 c. Panko
1 lb ground sirloin
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 chipotle chile, canned in adobe sauce, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 c. Chopped onion
2 c. Cubed red potatoes
1 c. Slices carrot
3 c. Chicken broth
2 c. Water
Monterey and Cheddar cheese
1/2 c. Chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat broiler

Cut jalepenos and bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Arrange corn on baking sheet with peppers. Broil 4-6 minutes or until blackened, turning corn once. Place peppers in a paper bag; fold to seal. Let stand 15 minutes; peel. Mince jalepenos and coarsely chop bell bell pepper. Set aside

Place tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray. Broil for 3 minutes.

Combine 1/4 tsp salt, 1 garlic clove, Panko, and the next 3 ingredients (through chipotle chile) in a large bowl & gently mix until just combined. With moist hands, shape into 24 meatballs (about 2 tbsp each)

Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add meatballs to pan; sauté for 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Add onion, potatoes, and carrots to pan; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 5 garlic cloves; cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Add peppers, broth, and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Return meatballs to pan. Add remaining 1/2 tsp salt and corn; return to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes or until meatballs are done.

Ladle in to bowls, top with cheeses, cilantro and tortilla strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment