Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I vote for good food!

I was beyond thrilled to have today off for Election Day and excited to use some of my free time today for cooking.  It’s not often during the week that I can put two hours in to preparing dinner (let’s be honest, I’m slow at prep work, so we are really talking two and a half hours). Regardless, I wanted to take advantage of the time today.  While the weather wasn’t exactly chilly, I still wanted to make some comfort food so I decided on a dish we haven’t had since last winter, Sweet Potato Chicken Curry.  While it is time consuming, it’s tasty and pretty good for you.  I found the recipe in the November 2009 issue of Cooking Light (a favorite magazine of mine).  I’ve shared this recipe in the past and it was met with good reviews.  I like to serve it over Basmati rice, enjoy!

2 t. curry powder
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. ground turmeric
1/2 t salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1/4 t. ground red pepper
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 t. olive oil
1 1/2 lb chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 c. vertically sliced onion
1 1/2 t. minced fresh ginger (which I actually leave out alot b/c I rarely am willing to spend $ on ginger)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 c. (1/2 inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
3/4 c. canned chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1/2 c. frozen green peas
1 t. fresh lemon juice

1.  Combine curry powder, coriander, turmeric, salt, black pepper, red pepper, & bay leaf in small bowl
2.  Heat oil in large Dutch oven over med-high heat.  Add chicken to pan; saute 5 min or until browned, stirring occasionally.  Remove chick from pan.  Reduce heat to medium.  Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.  Increase heat to med-high; return chicken to pan.  Cook 1 minute.  Stir in garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute stirring constantly.
3.  Stir in curry powder mixture.  Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
4.  Stir in potato and chickpeas.  Cook, uncovered 30 minutes.  Add peas; cook 5 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.
Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment